250 Europa GT
The Ferrari 250 Europa was first introduced at the Paris Motor Show in late 1953. It was a major milestone for the brand, as it was one of the first models produced in series. It also marked the first of the long-running and highly successful 250 GT series, with the introduction of the Europa GT in 1954. The GT’s wore an elegant and beautiful Pininfarina body and were powered by the famous Colombo V12 which delivered 220 bhp. That same engine went on to power some of Ferrari’s most successful models, notably the 250 GTO and 250 GT Berlinetta SWB. Only 34 of the 250 Europa GT were ever made, making it one of the most desirable and sought-after models of the brand, as well as a highly collectable benchmark of Italy’s greatest sportscar company.
OUR 250 EUROPA GT
Presented here is our Europa GT from 1955, chassis 0391GT, and delivered new to none other than the heir to the Barilla pasta conglomerate, Pietro Barilla. Mr. Barilla was one of Ferrari’s most important customers and a close friend of Enzo Ferrari. It is believed that one year after Mr. Barilla’s possession of the car, the Europa was returned to the factory, and he took delivery of a Ferrari 410 Superamerica. The original engine of chassis 0391GT, which is believed to have a specific tuning for Mr. Barilla, was removed from the car and put in chassis 0357GT, which was being raced at the time by Jacque Swater’s Ecurie Francorchamps.
By 1960, our Europa GT was imported to the USA and put for sale by Luigi Chinetti. It sold to King Sims of Atlanta, Georgia. During the 1970’s, the car was owned by a Seattle-based collector, and by 1972, the Europa was fitted with a proper replacement engine, a 2,953 cc Colombo V12 motor sourced from 0727GT, an early Ellena-bodied 250 GT produced in 1957.
In the 1980’s, the car was based in sunny California, until it was sold 1988 to Dr Heiner Oettli, a dentist residing in Niederrohrdorf, Switzerland. The Ferrari stayed in his possession for two years and was then acquired by Sportgarage’s Bruno Wyss, an official Ferrari dealer in Zofingen, who after sparingly using it and showing it at events over the following years, sold it in 1998 to Swiss Christophe Ringier. The car was then fully restored by one of Italy’s most renowned restoration specialists, Carrozzeria Nova Rinascente. Chassis 0391GT was refinished in its original color of Grigio Fiat with a Panno Grigio interior and blue leather sides. It was used by Ferrari themselves to show the color Grigio Fiat in a catalogue showing the colors from the 50’s to the 70’s. The car was owned by Hendrik Jan van den Berg from the Netherlands, who drove it during the Mille Miglia in 2010, before parting off with the car in 2012.
Our Europa GT is an award-winner: its participation at the 2002 Concorso d’Eleganza Villa d’Este earned it a Trofeo Pininfarina for the most significant Pininfarina body. Moreover, it was depicted in the June 2002 issue of Auto D’Epoca magazine and exhibited at the 2004 Retromobile exhibition in Paris. Thanks to its amazing mechanical condition, the car drove all 1,000 miles of the Mille Miglia in 2010, with no single problem.
Presented in a beautiful restored condition, our Europa GT is one of the prettiest Pininfarina designed Ferrari’s. Its beautiful lines are complemented by the classy and vintage color of Grigio Fiat. It is a rare occasion to acquire an award-winning car and one of only 34 Europa GT’s ever made.